A concrete driveway in San Diego should last as long as the house, ideally. However, there are certain factors that can affect its strength and lifespan. Such damaging elements could cause cracks, discoloration, flaking, holes, and more. Some of the most common causes of concrete damage are:
- Improperly compacted subgrade
- Inadequate concrete mix
- Weather conditions
- Foot or vehicular traffic
Concrete Driveway Repair Options
The first instinct would be to remove the slab and re-pour a fresh new batch of concrete. This is alright if the owner is willing to invest that much time and money into the project. The highly recommended solution is concrete repair. Nowadays, there are many different repair options that are efficient in resolving many different types of damage. Here are some of the options you might want to consider:
- Resurfacing – If the surface is full of cracks, scaling, pits, and other damage, the ideal solution is a resurfacing. This involves the use of coatings or overlays. First, the surface is ground until the damage layer is removed. Then, the coating or overlay is applied or sprayed, giving it a more appealing and functional surface. Stamped overlay and spray knock down finishes are highly recommended for resurfacing projects.
- Custom Scorelines– Working cracks are those that recur because these are being caused by nature itself. Instead of fighting it, why not modify the crack instead? Scorelines on a concrete driveway slab is an effective method for disguising cracks. If a crack recurs and can’t be sealed permanently, it is opened up further, cleaned of debris, and filled with a flexible joint sealant. The rest of the slab is scored in line with the crack to make it look like a natural stone pattern.
- Slab Jacking – This is a great solution to an uneven driveway. If some parts of the slab have sunk, it could be an improperly compacted subgrade or tremendous soil movement. Slab jacking is the process of injecting a mixture of cement, sand, and some additives under the slab until it rises back to its rightful level.
- Staining – Whether it is an acid or water-based stain, staining the surface helps cover up discoloration and stains. It can be used directly onto the surface or as an additional decorative element for resurfaced driveways.
- Crack Filling – Epoxy fillers are an ideal material for repairing cracks. Epoxy is a two-part material that dries to a really tough material, keeping the crack filled and closed.
Consult an expert concrete contractor. Call (619) 443-2318 for more repair options.
Driveways are an important part of any residential or commercial property. Aside from being durable and functional, it also needs to be pleasing to the eye so as not to ruin the property’s curb appeal. We at Concrete Coating Specialists Inc. have been in the industry for over 30 years now. We know concrete, the damage it acquires, and the fixes that work best with it.
Call or email us and let’s discuss the possible repair options appropriate for your driveway.